This is a summary of new features added to the site. You can see the full development history on
Upgrade Rails to version 5.
- Combine issue and thread creation into one form
- Fix converting Planning Application to Issue to use Richtext
- Fix administrative threads and Private Messages to use Richtext editor
- Fix Private Message thread ordering
- Upgrade Operating System (was Ubuntu 14.04 now is Ubuntu 16.04)
- Improvements to help reduce spam from the site feedback.
- Allow users to block Private Messages from other users.
- Stop Private Messages being checked for Spam.
- Fix Richtext editor on new thread form.
- More HTML email fixes: make sure formatting is somewhat preserved, remove another way to get empty paragraphs.
- Clarify what happens when user accounts are deleted.
- Link Emails with the message they create
- Remove unwanted HTML when pasting into richtext box. This should fix some formatting issues we've been having.
- Block posting messages until richtext editor is initialised.
- Add spellcheck to richtext editor.
- Remove empty paragraphs from messages.
- Fix hashtags with richtext.
- If email has HTML part use that, if not covert email to HTML as we now store messages from the web interface as HTML.
- Thread API fix with group.
- Constrain profile picture size in HTML emails.
- Richtext box fixes (make scrollable, strip trailing blank paragraphs, auto link URLs, remove underline from links, fix search formatting).
- Strip Facebook tracking from links.
- Allow issues and message to be written in HTML.
- Update emails to be in HTML and plain text.
- Add membership API.
- Fix uploading large images, we were converting them to PNG instead of respecting their file type.
- Improve image edit.
- Improve potential group members, allow 'Name <email@example.com>' email format, improve validations.
- Add introduction to site comments.
- Try to force Gmail to always show unsubscribe footer.
- Fix photo email links.
- Speed up creating new messages (submit form using AJAX).
- Add map key.
- Increase active group members table.
- Add action messages where specific actions can be added and later completed in a message thread.
- Fix email links to messages due to the floating header bar.
- Add more Planning Application areas.
- Add most active users to the groups page.
- Improve warning when posting a message that is not approved.
- Prevent double clicking when voting.
- Fix group search when group has no location.
- Fix approving group membership requests when user has already become a member.
- Try to fix font bug again.
Fix access denied and follow button spacing, thanks to
- Revert Firefox font bug (caused more issues).
- Fix missing user location bug.
- Speed up site: load vote details after page has loaded.
- Fix Firefox font bug.
- Add a warning when navigating away from part filled issues or messages.
- Allow thread priorities to be edited from the dashboard.
- Add hashtags to the search.
- Strip more HTML tags from posts.
- Fix location bug for new groups.
- Fix planning application pull
- Fix group profile edit.
- Change group logo resizeing.
- Add missing Map message text.
- Add Map as a message reply type.
- Add group logos.
- Make Geocoder more configurable.
- Minor / bug fixes: hide most message reply types unless user is signed in and fix searching for groups with no name.
- Update search (sometimes threads were not appearing for a while due to a bug)
- Update ruby to a secure version.
- Imporve API options, add messages and message threads.
- Make more of the site work in Czech and English.
- Fix: validate threads with group privacy have a group.
- Fix: group profile edit when validation failed was crashing, now return an error.
- Fix: display linebreaks from Cyclestreets photos.
- Fix: when unsubscribing from a thread via an email link redirect to the home page (instead of back to the thread).
- Fix: popular threads must have postive votes.
- Allow header, footer, map tiles, email (and others) to be altered in the site admin.
- Add Planning applications to the main search.
- Add tooltip of people who liked an issue or message.
- Change how voting works so it is one click. Add ability to vote on messages.
- Allow unsubscriptions from email in one click.
- Add group find on front page.
- Add twitter feed to front page.
- Minor style fixes (on front page and location edit).
- Add link to top at the bottom of the screen.
- Allow committee to manage group threads.
- Remove delay before allowing threads to be closed.
- Fix error message when a non-committee user tries to view a committee thread.
- Fix thread creation bug.
Revamp adding a user location: can select preset group geometries,
constituencies or wards. Use CycleStreets to add a route to regular destination.
Add auto-detect of current area. Show number of issues in drawn area over the last month.
- Users have only one location, previous multiple locations have been merged into one (with multiple geometries).
- Order message thread subscribers by last name.
- Paginate My Cyclescape.
- Fix top bar when scrolling down.
- Denote Committee emails.
- Automatically subscribe committee members to admin threads.
- Highlight unseen message threads.
- Display number of unseen private messages in top navigation.
- Add link to individual message in email digests.
- Allow issues (along with library items, groups) to be connected to multiple locations.
Add potential members to groups where a committee member can upload a
membership list so when a user signs up they are automatically added to the group if their email
matches one in the potential members list.
- Allow admin to disable groups (for when they are no longer active).
Add groups to the
- Improve CycleStreets photo reply image size and fix link.
Add CycleStreets photo reply
see more …
Set leader as a reply type
see more …
- Add link for group committee to current group membership.
- Link to deadlines and order private messages.
- Only email active members about deadlines.
- Fix PlanIt planning applications.
- Fix error message with long issue titles.
- Fix collision checkbox.
- Speed up tag cloud.
- Disable "Submit button" on all reply types when not logged in.
- Add social sharing buttons.
- Allow user to set locale.
- Fix missing friendly dates.
- Update new user and lost password pages styling.
- Add location to library documents.
- When creating issue update the title word count so user knows when it is too long.
Migrate from OpenLayers to
(this changes all the maps and map editing).
- Changing tabs now updates the browser URL.
- Simplified translation process (and work around Internationalization).
- Download deadlines as iCal .ics files.
Minor Fixes: group request titles, removing site comments,
fix thread moderation issue, deadline emails missing message title,
fix thread unsubscribing issue, planning search is now case insensitive.
- Zoom to feature on map search (instead of a generic zoom)
- Improve group request page
- Allow users to leave groups
- Other bug fixes around private messages
- Zoom to feature on map search (instead of a generic zoom)
- Improve group request page
- Allow users to leave groups
- Other bug fixes around private messages
- Respect locale for users browsing in different countries
- Add thread, issue id to search
- Order group index
- Show all tagged thread respecting privacy
- Minor bug fixes (remove PM to self, remove invalid thread privacy, stop unapproved messages updating thread timings)
- Dynamically set new thread modal size
- Reduce select options font size
- Warning / Success message widths
- Fix missing thumbnail spacing
- Fix nearby issue button
- Expose reply by email link
- Allow issue creator to change issue in indefinitely
- Add [Committee] next to committee users
- Make searching more robust
- Fix page headers
- Make issue URL unique (issues/123-anything used to work, now only /issue/123-title works)
- Handle planning applications with no location
- Add ical attachment to deadline emails
- Force email addresses to be unique
- On issue show add issues nearby button
- Add all day option to deadlines and issues
- Add option to send Private Messages
- Add issue nearby
- Auto link threads and issues using short syntax (thread 123, thread no 123, thread no. 123, thread #123 or #t123 - or i for issuej) on view
- Error on creating new issue,
- Stop sending blank digests
- Fix external link on issue
- Thread subscription inconsistency
- Show tag names in tag search
- Simplify some sign-up text
- Speed up subscribing to threads
- Improve deadline date format
- Add times to deadlines
- Add 'Back to top' link
- Email digest option
- Ical link for deadlines in dashboard
- Added ability to close threads
- Send email about upcoming issue and thread deadlines
- Performance improvements
- Filter out irrelevant planning applications (currently limited to Cambridge area only)
- Add tag styling
- Paginate tag search results
- Thread priority more easily settable using one click
- Send welcome email for new users
- Make new group member's email editable by the group's committee
- Creating an issue from planning application now includes main link
- Added search to issues map
- Improve search results, boost results in title, added pagination
- Searches within a Group now limit results to that area
- Add spam messages moderation, now will moderate posts by users not part of a group or if the message is possible spam
- Strip email encryption keys from messages (p7 and pgp keys)
- Add bicycle wheels maths check to reduce spam signups
- Style permission denied pages
- Improved email threading and removed PGP signatures
- Fixed site feedback submission
- Upgraded many old libraries (esp. kaminari, dragonfly)
- Upgraded to Rails 4.2
- Various bug fixes
- Add group pictures
- Make user account URL more friendly, use '/settings/account' format
- Upgrade to Rails 4.0
- Privacy Updates
- your full name was hidden if you had a display name (apart for admins for groups you requested to join)
- your profile was always visible to everyone
- users now can see the full name (in the profile) of anyone who is in the same group
- if you have profile visibility set to group (in the user preferences) then their profile will not be visible publicly (only to members in one of your groups)
- User friendly URLs for profile, location and preferences edit
- Add a checkbox for collision data on issue map
- Add new group request form
- Update Devise (how users log in)
- Add Street View message type
- Add more missing translations
- Paginate popular issues
- Pull Planning Applications from PlanIt
- Add local Planning Applications to MyCyclescape
- Add Planning Application search and voting to hide
- Add some missing translations
- Make message link permanent
- Upgrade many libraries
- Fix a bug where thread creators could end up subscribed twice
- Ensure that all thread emails mention the thread privacy setting
- Add more warnings that all issue information is public
- Allow profiles to be hidden from non-group members.
- Line-breaks between quoted text and reply are preserved when posting via email
- All "2 months ago" style links now show you the actual date when you hover over them
- Style improvement to the group page listing
- Rephrase lots of the working around adding users to groups, to reduce confusion
- Users get notified when they are added to a group
- Adding library item messages has been fixed
- Cyclescape can now be translated using Transifex
- Added lots of functionality for subscribing and unsubscribing from threads when joining/leaving groups, adding/deleting locations and changing preferences
- Support for the tools menu on touchscreens
- Add about and userguide links to the header
- Enable users to cancel their accounts and cleanly handle group memberships etc
- Allow users to specify a message when asking to join a group - can be used for membership numbers etc
- Add a maximum size for issues
- Allow group membership secretaries to review individual membership requests
- Allow group membership secretaries to approve individual membership requests via the email notification
- Link to the groups gallery from the front page
- Make links in group descriptions clickable on maps and in the compact listing
- Avoid autoscrolling when linking to a specific message
- Lots of localisation fixes to support Czech translations
- Support basic threading in message thread email notifications
- Fix some broken page titles and missing translations
- Allow admins to delete site comments (helps deal with spam)
- Add group preferences to control membership request notifications
- Create an option for groups to have a membership secretary
- Limit the number of issues shown on your overview
- Improvements to the group membership management
- Planning applications now integrated - thanks to a data feed courtesty of OpenlyLocal. Planning applications are listed on the My Cyclescape page, and each can be promoted to an issue like any other.
- Various labelling added around the site to clarify various features
- My Cyclescape subscribed threads listing increased to 12 items
- Various improvements to administrative area
- Areas are now the default type when adding locations and issues
- File sizes are shown for attachments and library documents
- Messages can be promoted into library items, depending on the message type
- Group descriptions can now contain links and are automatically formatted like messages
- Library notes can be edited for a short time after they are created, to fix typos
- A new issue (or a new thread) will only generate one notification email, regardless of your settings, groups and locations
- The issues map has improvments, making large issues transparent, smaller ones easier to click and highlighting which one is selected
- Fixed the map drawing interface on IE7
- Improved layout of the voting buttons on the issue page
- Email attachments sent to a thread will create new photo or attachment messages as appropriate
- Fix bugs in the map when editing issues on IE8
- Tags are copied from issues onto new threads
- Maps on the group pages now only show issue in the group area
- Allow tagging of library items when they are being created
- Tabs are now "sticky", so if you click 'back' you'll end up on the pane you were looking at
- ... and you can also link to a particular tab in the same places
- Posting any type of message will subscribe you to the thread
- Increased privacy - last poster on a private thread is no longer shown
- New "catch me up" feature on user locations - easily subscribe to existing threads in your area
- Various minor bugfixes and restylings
- Committee members can now add issues to administrative threads, or change the issue on an existing issue thread
- Tags now have autocomplete suggestions - type a few characters to see matching tags
- You can link directly to messages more easily - click on the posting time to see the url
- Fixed a bug with document creation not giving friendly error messages
- Textareas now automatically resize as they fill up with text, making longer comments easier to write
- Duplicate display names are no longer allowed (matching full names are of course permitted)
- Reduce duplicate messages by disabling submit button after posting
- Rework the logic for where you end up after signing in - should now handle more situations gracefully
- Improvements to message posting speed by making thread search update an asynchronous process
- Groups can now have custom joining instructions
- Added a global search, instead of individual thread/issue/library searches
- Security updates
- Thread search! Shows results from all public threads and private threads that you have access to
- Added a new "User Priorities" tab to the dashboard, showing your prioritised threads
- Replying to a new thread notification will now subscribe you to that thread
- Added functionality to reply to certain new thread notifications
- Fixed bug with subject of new group location issue notifications
- Fixed bug with display of attachment messages in some thread summaries
- Fixed bug with unsubscribed threads showing up in dashboard
- Complete rework of preferences options. You should check yours now!
- Notifications for new issues and new threads on relevant issues
- Options to subscribe automatically to all threads
- Global option to enable / disable email.
- Dashboard shows subscribed threads rather than only those you've posted to
- Fixed bug where censored deadlines were showing on dashboard
- Show latest thread activity rather than creation details in more places
- Upgrade of underlying Rails technology to the 3.2 series.
- Fixed bug with incoming emails. Messages from some people were being lost if they contained £ symbols
- Less ugly thread unfollow button
- Added committee-only threads
- Show recently popular issues tab on the Issue overview page
- Fixed notification emails for attachment messages
- Improved alignment of avatar images
- Collisions layer added to maps on issue pages
- Deadline tab added to overview page
- Thread activity icons fixed
- Improvements to the display of overlapping issues on the map
- Attachments can be added to threads
- Fixed bugs with popups not disappearing
- Issues list in group context only shows issues in that group's area.
- Logging in returns the user to the last group they were in.
- New thread notifications can be replied to.
- Added what's new page.
- Added following indicator to main thread lists.
- Increased message box size.
- Disable voting and message box if you cannot use them.
- Fixed bug with invalid tags being entered.